Kusadasi has a residential population of 50,000 rising to over half a million during the summer when the large resort fills with tourists.
Kusadasi caters to tourists, arriving by land, and as the port for cruise ship passengers heading to Ephesus.
Old houses near the seafront, some of them converted to bars and cafes, are the remnants of old Kusadasi, which has become a modern-European looking town. The hills behind are built up with big hotels and blocks of holiday flats. The building boom in the late 80s and onwards has been continued into the hinterland of Kusadasi.
A panoramic view of Kusadasi.
Places of interest
* The city walls – Only one of the three gates still remains.
* Kaleici Camii – mosque built in 1618 for Grand Vizier Okuz Kara Mehmed Pasha.
* Okuz Mehmet Pasha caravanserai. Near the docks, built in 1618 as a strong-room for the goods of seamen.
* Guvercin Ada – the peninsula at the end of the bay, has a castle and swimming beaches, including a private beach and cafe with a view back across the bay to the harbour of Kusadasi. There are public beaches at the back of the peninsula, on the open sea side.
* Kirazli Village – traditional Turkish koy 12km from Kusadasi reached by scenic drive over gorge. Well visited by Turkish citizens looking for a return to nature and enjoy the cool breezes during the hot summer months and amazing views. * Yilanci Burnu – a second peninsula beyond Guvercin Ada. Possibly the location of the original settlement of Neopolis. Some walls are visible. There are more beaches and beach clubs here.
* Pygale – 3km north, the small point behind Hotel Pigale. Once refuge of Agamemnon. Still to be excavated.
* Also several aqua-parks with wave-pools, white-water slides are located near the town: the largest are NBGS International’s Aqua Fantasy, along with Adaland and Aqua Land.
* Ladies Beach – near the town, next to the Imbat Hotel, named because it was once segregated for female bathers. Now open to all and quite busy.
* Kadikalesi – Venetian/Byzantine castle, 10km along the Kusadasi-Davutlar road,
* Panionium – 25 km (16 mi) south of Kusadasi, on the Davutlar-Guzelcamli road. Once the central meeting place of the Ionian League. The ruins are in poor condition and their authenticity is disputed. (See Panionium).
* Dilek Peninsula National Park. South of Kusadasi, begins at the town of Guzelcamli. Lovely bays and trip by boat from Guzelcamli is a good way to visit.